Monday, March 30, 2009

The Secret to an Amazing Salad

There is nothing better than a delicious salad, especially on a warm day. There was a time not long ago when I could name every great salad place in town, but never bothered to make them for myself. For some reason, I thought salads tasted better when someone else made them.
One day I stopped to think how many salads I could make at home for the 10.00 it cost to eat one out. That is when I decided to start making my own and have since made an art of it.

I have found a secret that is so easy, you will not believe it. The key to an amazing salad is a fruit, a nut and a cheese. With those 3 things, you can not go wrong. Favorite vegetables such as carrots, purple onions, and cucumbers also make great enhancements.

Some of my favorite combinations are:

Pears, pecans and Gorgonzola
Apples, walnuts, and Cheddar
Tomatoes, pine nuts, and Mozzarella
Dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, and White Cheddar
Mandarin oranges, sliced almonds and Feta

The varieties are unlimited and any combination will work. There is no guesswork.

For an easy homemade dressing from pantry ingredients, combine 1/8 cup of sugar, ½ cup of vegetable or olive oil, ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar, 2 teaspoons of parsley, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1 pinch of pepper.

For the perfect accompaniment, butter a piece of whole wheat toast and lightly sprinkle lightly with garlic powder and grated parmesan cheese.

Get creative and have a great summer making your own incredible salads. This is a delicious way to cut back on spending and calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment